Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Childish Gambino at Club Nokia @ L.A. Live Concert Recap



Read my concert recap of Childish Gambino‘s triumphant show this past Saturday at Club Nokia @ L.A. Live / Downtown L.A..

Remember, pick up Childish Gambino‘s new album Camp on Glassnote Records in-stores today! Support!

On with the show….

Compelling, cutting edge and flat out mesmerizing. That’s the only way I could describe my thoughts and feelings about Childish Gambino’s appearance at Club Nokia @ L.A. Live Downtown L.A.. Just that short of amazing.

I was lucky enough to score an extra ticket from my friend who works at RED (Childish Gambino’s record label Glassnote is distributed by RED) as I was his guest. Finding out once we got to will call we also scored after show meet and greet passes. This was a sign of a great omen.

As we waited in line security was tight, not taking any guff from the crowd, they even threw out some girls who were smoking inside the club. Ouch! I even fell victim to the strictness of Club Nokia as they refused to let me in with my Flip Camera and I had to turn around and head back to the car. But luckily that was the only glitch of the night.

Donald has been wowing audiences in all the major city hubs where he has graced the stages, including Philly, New York City and in late 2010 at the El Rey in Los Angeles. This would be the first time I would bare witness. Donald came out right out at 10:15 PM on the dot, toting a full live band! This was welcomed vs seeing so many shows with the rapper and dj set-up. Donald has raised the stakes, for all rappers who need to do a real live show.

Once Donald and band hit the stage it was non-stop intensity. Donald’s connection with the audience was felt from the pit area all the way up to the rafters as the crowd cheered and sang to every song. I hadn’t seen anything like this in quite some time. And Donald played to a packed house, I would say from my vantage point that the show was completely sold out.

As the show came to an end, we all kind of milled around waiting for what would happen next. In comes Daniel Glass, a well respected music industry veteran, who as I’ve mentioned signed Donald to his Glassnote label and is experiencing a new renaissance with the success of his indie roster which includes Mumford and Sons, Phoenix and more. Donald is in great company being the only rapper on the label. As Daniel approached, he quickly whisked us off to the backstage area at Club Nokia and we all followed him like a pied piper. There were about 60 or so people back there when we saw Donald hanging out at his dressing room door taking photos and chatting it up with his fans. I was impressed with Mr. Glover, seemed at ease and enjoying the moment, as we all were in his presence – and I shall mention he was a completely down to earth guy. As I got my chance to meet Donald, I paid respect and support. He was ever so appreciative.

All I can say is that I wish Childish all the success in the world. He deserves it. A guy who works hard as Donald, it is sure that the fruits of his labor are now ripe for the picking.

No comments:

Post a Comment