Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Jack Splash: Producer, Songwriter, Artist Interview



via Sheena Beaston

SB: So what are you doing down in Miami now?

JS: Um, I’m from LA originally and I moved out here I guess about 4 years ago now and it was only supposed to be a one year thing, like a working vacation type thing. But, I love it. I love the weather. I’m a beach dude, like that’s why I don’t love the snow. I just like the warm, tropical weather. Yeah, like this year’s been a little bit cold, but other than that, I love the weather and I’m a workaholic. And I live right on the beach so I can wake up and go swimming in the ocean, right on the beach.

SB: So you’ve been putting out some mix tapes in anticipation of the full length that’s coming out. Do you have a release date for the full album yet?

JS: Well, I had so many people on it that I had to get all the clearances, you know, all the label politics. But it’s coming out in May, I don’t have the exact date. The main reason I was putting out the free albums, and I call them the free albums because they’re really albums, you know what I mean, but the reason I wanted to do that, the first were more hip-hop based and on the new one I’m not rapping at all, it’s all singing, but I wanted my American people to know kinda where I come from so when the big album comes out or whatever, I didn’t want to come out of left field. I wanted the people to know, here’s my history, and it’s easier to tell those stories through hip-hop, you know what I mean? So, I’m not rapping at all on my real album. Lupe (Fiasco) is on it, and Missy (Elliott) and other people are doing the rapping part.

SB: That’s what I wanted to ask you. How much of the album then is you and your voice as opposed to the guests? Because I know you have a great lineup of people set to appear on the album...

JS: It’s still 90% me, you know? I guess the important thing is that I made the entire album on my own first. Our Plant Life stuff was like demos to me. I mean, to be honest and frank, I was drunk and just having fun and living life and documenting that in songs. So I didn’t really produce it, I wasn’t trippin out on how my vocals sounded, you know it sounded a little fucked up but it was supposed to sound a little fucked up. So I made the entire album on my own first, there was nobody on it. And it wasn’t until I finished and made this little animated movie with Cee-Lo and I was like, you know what, I really want to bring, I mean I know it sounds crazy, I hope this doesn’t come out as a bad quote, but I really wanted to kind of try and do what the Beatles did with Sgt. Pepper where it was all them but they brought in this really beautiful cast of characters to come participate in their little psychedelic world. So that’s really what I did.

Read the full Jack Splash interview here:
Sheena Beaston - The Royal Reign of Sir Jack Splash



No comments:

Post a Comment