Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sha Money XL Bringing One Stop Shop Producers Conference To NY & More Revealed In Interview


via PMP Worldwide

PMP: How does it feel being back in the Def Jam building as an executive?

Sha Money: It feels reel good and it's a blessing. I'm ready to put that work in; I'm not caught up in the hype.

PMP: What are some of the immediate differences between your current exec position at Def Jam and when you were over at G-Unit?

Sha Money: Def Jam has a huge team of professionals compared to G-Unit which had about 3 or 4 executives. At Def Jam you have over 30 professionals who know what they're doing so I've got an amazing team behind me. I have a music mentor in L.A. Reid who is a real music dude not just an executive only.

PMP: Coming from the background of being a producer do you look at yourself in the same light?

Sha Money: Absolutely, I'm a music person and I tell people I'll handle all the politics that have to be done before the music but my music speaks for itself and it always will.

PMP: What specific artist projects are your priorities?

Sha Money: My priority is Juelz Santana. Right now it feels like his album will probably drop 4th quarter definitely this year. We're getting started right now and he got some amazing music. Were really just getting to the nuggets right now so its too early to build on the specifics but trust I'm putting my 100% all into it no doubt.

PMP: Do you feel any pressure as far as expectations in a time when Hip Hop artists are not selling as many album units compared to the heydays of G-Unit?

Sha Money: Nah I don't feel any pressure and if there was any pressure then I like it because I'm good at handling urgency and importance. L.A. Reid told me to get results and that's what I do, you have to remember I work with one of the toughest dudes in the business (50 Cent) so pressure is nothing.

PMP: Do you feel A&R executives need to do a better job at utilizing the Internet when it comes to discovering talent and/or finding quality music from producers and writers?

Sha Money: You definitely have to be active when it comes to working with digital technology. With the PMP for example I've been in the back office, listening to tracks and learning how ya'll guys whole model is setup which is real dope and efficient so I'm all about being on the cutting edge as far as the Internet is concerned.

PMP: What is the current status of the annual One Stop Producer Conference?

Sha Money: It's still going down but I put it on hold because of this new transition. I figured I'll have more power behind me so I'm going to have more people participating for the next one. I don't have an exact date locked in but it's going to be in the Fall and I'm bringing it to New York this year.

PMP: Was the change of venue location due to the recent political atmosphere out in Arizona?

Sha Money: Yea well we held the conference 3 times out there and it felt good and now its time take it to new cities and help new producers out. New York is live and they're ready for it. In Arizona and the rest of the West Coast they needed it so I did everything West Coast and now its time to come back East and New York is the best place to start it at.

PMP: Def Jam as a label brand was once synonymous with authentic street hip hop, do you feel your part of a revival by being offered your new position?

Sha Money: Absolutely and L.A. Reid recognized that in me and he wants the streets happy that's why I'm here. I represent for New York and all the great street music from around the world and it's our job to bring that rush.

PMP: What's your personal feeling about the current hip hop sound that's in the market now?

Sha Money: I think it scattered right now because there's not enough official releases so everything is spread out too wide and it makes it hard to get a grip on exactly what's going on. My intention starting out at Def Jam is to have multiple releases coming out each quarter instead of all these little bricks going on right now. Hi-Tek and Kwali just dropped their new project earlier this week on Tuesday so we need more Hip Hop releases overall in the business.

PMP: In regards to the New York market many accuse the DJ's of not supporting the local acts. Do you feel this is a fair assessment?

Sha Money: I think the DJ's need to be more than just DJ's and help pave the way they want the music to flow but at the same time I also believe the artists in New York need to step their game up. There are a few dudes out there that are really bringing it but just not enough.

PMP: Is some of the problem due to a lack of artistic development in the A&R sector of the business?

Sha Money: A lot of A&R's are not on their jobs and I can you tell that for a definite fact. Its not going down under my watch, I'm here to push the music as far as I can take it while I have this opportunity

PMP: From the Russell Simmons to 50 Cents and now yourself what is it about the Borough of Queens that produce so many successful entrepreneurs in the music business?

Sha Money: It's the water man! There are a lot of successful people that have come out of Queens from the artist level, executive level and DJ level as well like DJ Clue, Envy and Whoo Kid. Run DMC was the first Hip Hop group to take it to a platinum level so it's gotta be something in the water.

PMP: For the producers on the PMP, both established and new what advice would you give them?

Sha Money: Make sure you shop your music to a lot of people that got good ears. Make sure your shit is really hot and not be caught up in just glorifying yourself. Take the time to study the game and become a real student of the game; don't just jump into the business not knowing the history behind it or what's currently happening. Once you become a great student then you can graduate and become the teacher

PMP: In your opinion how should a producer be compensated for providing original production for songs that are released on Mixtapes/online promotional?

Sha Money: I think the producer should get his credit up because if he's not known he should use that as an avenue to say 'this is what I've done'. Nowadays you have Mixtape records that get heavy play and are as respected as the songs coming off of retail albums so use it as a reason to get your name out there. The artist will love it and in exchange ask for your name to be credited on the insert 'produced by...'you need that for your own personal branding.

For example there is a producer by the name of Nascent, he did a lot of mixtape work for 50 Cent and then he finally got his shot on 50's last album and that was due to the work he was putting out there and getting a buzz around his name. It's like 'ok you did that, shit was hot let me hear some more' so it's all about allowing people to identify with what your work is.

PMP: Are you still producing and will it be a conflict of interest to submit your music to projects your responsible for at Def Jam?

Sha Money: Nah I'm getting music from everybody, I'm too busy on the executive side to be in a good creative space so I'm focused on helping make Def Jam the #1 label as far as market share and selling a whole bunch of records this year and for years to come. I'm good at making music but I'm great at creating and building brands and making stars so I'm going to concentrate on what I'm great at right now.

PMP: Are you still working with G-Unit?

Sha Money: Yea that's my family, I still work with them in the studio and when its time to get it in. I speak to 50 at least once a week and the same with Yayo and Banks, those are my brothers.

PMP: The Lloyd Banks record 'Beamer, Benz or Bently' was released independently is currently enjoying 'major-like' success. With Hip Hop is there really much of a difference between the majors and their indy counterparts?

Sha Money: It's the same game because now there's only a thin line between being on a major and being independent. You got companies like E1 that are kicking more ass than some of the majors so it's really no difference, its all about when the money stops. The majors have more money than the independent labels but that's about it.

PMP: So if the Lloyd Banks project was on Def Jam once it started making real noise that's when the extra $1 million can kick in and people like yourself can take it to another level correct?

Sha Money: Exactly

No comments:

Post a Comment