Monday, October 12, 2009

R&B Newcomer Jason Derulo Interviewed In L.A.Times



via L.A. Times

L.A. Times: "Whatcha Say" comes from a long lineage of make-up songs. Did it do the trick?

Jason Derulo: My brother called me one day to tell me he'd cheated on his girl, but that he felt terrible and really wanted to stay together. I told him, "Tell her this!" That feeling was so real, people go through it every day. So I wrote the song, and he played it for her, and now they've got a beautiful baby.

L.A. Times: I guess it worked then. Speaking of interpersonal chemistry, you're doing your debut album entirely with J.R. Rotem. That must take a lot of trust, to work so closely with one producer on your first-impression record. Why him?

Jason Derulo: Our energy and connection was like nothing I'd ever experienced. We have a chemistry like Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones; we're really like soul mates. We've done something like 300 songs together. I'd always wanted the usual prospects to work on my record, like Timbaland. But I've got so many influences -- rock, country, rap -- that I really needed someone special. I didn't want to come off as an R&B artist just because of the color of my skin. When you hear the rest of the stuff, there's rock guitars, there's live drums, there's even banjos. I've studied classical music and jazz, and ballet and tap dancing and musical theater and Shakespeare, and I wanted all of that in there.

Read more of the interview here:
L.A. Times - Jason Derulo will save your relationship

Learn more about Jason Derulo:
Jason Derulo's MySpace Page

No comments:

Post a Comment