Monday, November 16, 2009

Kid Sister: Kanye West And Estelle Lend A Hand On 'Ultraviolet'



via Spinner

After a lengthy delay, Chicago's Kid Sister will finally release her long-awaited debut album, 'Ultraviolet,' on Tuesday. "I'm putting on a pair of running shorts and I'm breaking through that tape," she tells Spinner, laughing.

The album was originally set to come out under the guise 'Dream Date' this past spring, but Kid Sister, aka Melissa Young, wasn't comfortable with the package at the time. "I heard things on the album that I wasn't proud of or didn't really gel for me," she says. "There were little quirks about it that I didn't particularly care for, so we just went back and polished it up and got some new stuff and made sure it was a really cohesive-sounding piece of work."

The polished up version still keeps old favorites, like her indie hip-hop breakthrough hit 'Pro Nails,' which features Kanye West, and a handful of new, clubbier tracks. "I added more up-tempo songs and some songs that show my versatility and my growth a little bit more without departing from the sound that makes me me," she says of the new additions. "It's just supposed be fun, pure fun, and we wanted to make it a cohesive-sounding project."

In making it more cohesive, Kid Sister went to work with a handful of super producers including Brian Kennedy (Rihanna's 'Disturbia') who tackled 'Daydreaming,' a cut that wouldn't be out of place on a Kylie Minogue record. Steve Angello and Sebastian Ingrosso of house music super team Swedish Mafia took on 'Right Hand Hi' and Herve and Sindo turned on the heavy beats of 'Big and Bad.' Grammy-winner Estelle also makes a cameo on 'Step,' which an emerging producer took the reigns on.

"That was produced by Rusko, who is kind of at the forefront of the whole dubstep thing," she explains. "He's a friend of ours too so it was just kind of natural to get us all together."

Despite the lengthy wait for the release, Kid Sister is skipping a super-bash and opting for an event in the lanes on the day her album actually hits shelves.

"That's what I wanted to do, have the party in a bowling alley," she says. "That's what I like to do anyway. I'm a bowler. It doesn't have to be a special occasion for me to bowl."
(source)

No comments:

Post a Comment