Sunday, November 29, 2009

Crooked I Interview With BallerStatus



BallerStatus.com: When I first heard the title of your EP, Mr. Pigface Weapon Waist, I automatically thought of the law boys.

Crooked I: (laughs)

BallerStatus.com: I'm thinking, "Okay, what's this about?" How did you decided on that title for your EP?

Crooked I: When we do Slaughterhouse shows, I used to come on stage with a pig mask. So, a lot of the fans started calling me "Pig Face" ... Then the "Weapon Waist" came from a song that I did ... "The Warriors". That's on Royce Da 5'9's Street Hop. They call me "Weapon Waist." Everybody in Slaughterhouse, they say, when I'm drunk, they say I become Weapon Waist. My temper is this short.

BallerStatus.com: Now, what kind of material is going to be on it?

Crooked I: When I first made the EP, it was for the summer. I made that EP a long time ago. I wanted to make some summertime music for Cali. When you're in Cali and it's summer, people like to drop their tops and people like to ride around. That's what I did it for. What ended up happening was one of the songs had a sample on it ... the particular group, which I don't wish to name right now, because I have more samples from this group. They didn't want to clear that particular sample. So, it took a long time, like back and forth back and forth. Pretty soon, the summer was over by that time.

Now, the concepts on there were very rebellious, because, like I said, when I get too many drinks in me, that's Weapon Waist, right there. He got a short temper, so the concept was like very rebellious. Like Jay-Z did "Death of Autotune" -- It's like they want to see the death of West coast sh**. I could feel it, you know what I mean? I can feel it. I've been all around the world. I've been in this industry for a long time. A lot of people want to see the death of West Coast sh**. So, the whole thing was, we're not buying it. This is what we're doing, so accept it! That's where it came from. I don't know. (laughs)

Read the full Crooked I interview here:
BallerStatus - Crooked I Keeps It 100 — Talks Industry Politics, the New West, Ghosting Writing & More

No comments:

Post a Comment